Saturday, February 1, 2014

Yay for half birthdays!

I came across the idea for a half birthday - you know, 6 months before your actual birthday - and thought it was a pretty great idea. The child gets half of a cake (to share with the family, of course!), no presents (or maybe a small one in this household), and a special dinner. I think it's a great out-of-the-blue idea that will make your child's day. And what an adorable memory to look back and remember! So when Gunner turned 6 months in January, I started the tradition.

We threw a BBQ for friends and family - we really wanted to take a minute and sit back and relax with friends. The years seem to go by quicker as we get older, and we often don't see each other as much as we'd like. It was great to have everyone together, and for them to interact with Gunner. He's growing up so fast!!

Here's pics from the party. We had a really great time!


The overview. The left corner is a photobooth backdrop made from plastic tablecloths from the dollar store! I trimmed the bottoms and used the rest on the chandelier, just to spice it up a bit!


Up-close on the photobooth.


My goofball husband and nephew posing for me.


I made the "Happy Half" banner. It was simple - construction paper, permanent marker, paper straws, hot glue and colored twine. Pirate and chest cake topper from here, twine from here, and cake from Publix.



I made these and I must say - I am proud of them! I found everything I used in a single kit called "The Classroom Kit" at Tj Maxx for like $6 on clearance! I googled the company and apparently it's Australian-based and costs $40 to ship to the United States. I have to say that I SCORED!


I affixed a bandana from Target to his high chair.


And provided some stick-on mustaches and bandanas for photobooth props. I also placed a photo of him in his "1/2" onesie for everyone to sign. I think it'll be awesome in years to come when he looks back on the photo and sees just how long the people who love him have been in his life! The onesie was a custom order from here.



So simple and budget-friendly - streamers from the dollar store cut into slices and affixed to the wall with mustache duct tape, because it's adorable.





The 1/2 birthday boy himself.


Destruction.


Mmmm cake.


The very next day I used the red plastic tablecloth for the backdrop of his Valentine's photos! XOXO!



~Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment